That being said, the number one reason I read THIS book in particular, was because after my ex moved out, I was told by the pastor of my church that he and his wife were there for me, and I could call anytime. So this one time I called, and after venting about a current thing that happened, he interrupted me to announce that if I decided to move on with my life with someone new, he would not be able to perform a wedding for me. He did not back this up biblically with me, nor did he explain why he had these certain convictions. It was like a door slamming in my face. A few years later, he admitted that he DID marry other previously divorced people, and the only reason he told ME that was because he thought I had some problems relating to people, and he was trying to open a discussion with me that day about all of my problems with that. I told him that he should have just said that, rather than speaking in riddles and that maybe HE was the one who had problems relating to people. I finally told him last spring after four years of discussions with him) that he is off the hook, I am not going to even try to reconcile with him anymore, because he has demonstrated to me that he really is not my friend.
But it was because of this area, that I wanted to study this book, just for my own little piece of biblical justification against a closed minded pastor who speaks in riddles.
…And
Marries Another
Divorce
and Remarriage in the Teachings of the New Testament
Divorce.
It’s not a topic that people want to look at or think about when they
are contemplating finding a mate, settling down and starting a family. Yet, one ought to take into consideration
that divorce happens, and it happens quite a lot. So, it’s probably not a bad idea to make
plans for how you’re going to build up your marriage to the best of your
ability in order to prevent such a tragedy from happening. But – what if it happens anyway? What if your best laid plans are shattered to
pieces and the marriage fails? What
then? Are you destined to be alone from
now on? Are you forbidden to actively
participate in ministry because of this terrible sin? Certainly there are churches out there that
promote this line of thinking. But what
does the Bible really say about all of that?
Where DOES one go from here, after the house of cards has fallen
down? Craig Keener, a well respected
bible scholar, tackles these questions in his book …And Marries Another.
The first thing he is quick to point out
is why he embarked on this journey of researching the topic. “Many loving and compassionate people have
been wounded by spouses they trusted, only to be wounded again by
fellow-Christians who did not know what to do with them” (vii). This exact thing has been a very difficult
issue for me to get over in my personal situation. I can see that part of the reason why some of
my fellow-Christians continue to behave in ways that annoy or just plain hurt
me – it’s because they haven’t been taught (by experience or otherwise) what
divorce is really about. All they know
are a few “prooftexts” which appear to approve of their stance about
divorce. But this leaves a divorcing
person even more wounded than before.
Keener sees the necessity of digging deeper into the biblical texts, the
majority of them in their most original form, and interpreting it according to
the context and culture in which these wisdom sayings were being proliferated
to.
I’ve been doing some thinking about
attending a different church and/or denomination. I’ve not done this yet, because I want to
reconcile with my church family. There
are still a few difficulties there and that makes it hard to attend. Keener cites several examples of how divorced
people have “wisely” sought fellowship in other denominations. It might be wise to consider other options in
hopes of finding a safer place to worship.
I am not sure, but felt it was worth mentioning.
Keener mentions the Matthew 5 passages
about divorce and remarriage. He says
“these teachings are not primarily rules to be enforced by the church. They function especially as an end-time
summons to repentance and as a call to live a lifestyle that opposes anger,
lust, divorce, falsehood and so on” (24).
He also cites that “this passage clearly permits the innocent party in a
divorce to remarry” (33). Keener does
touch on “psychological abuse” briefly, but I would have liked to know more
biblical background for that reason for divorce. I feel because of what I’d term as emotional
and verbal abuse, that I am an “innocent party” in that had that not been going
on, I would have NEVER chosen this path for my life. So I chose to read Keeners book with that
definition in mind when I read “innocent party”.
It’s not so much that I need to find
scripture to agree with me, though it is nice when it happens. But I wanted to have a more in depth look at
what the bible says about these passages.
I have felt the need to be armed with the Word in these areas for when
Christians want to have a “conversation” with me about it. I want to be ready to give an answer. And I am open to remarriage at some point,
but I know that I still have some ground to cover before that happens for
me. Part of that is having a good working
knowledge of biblical texts regarding this topic to help me lay a good
foundation for my future, based on God’s truth and my interaction with Him in
regards to that, rather than allowing other people and denominations put me
into bondage while devaluing me with their misinterpretations of these
texts.
No comments:
Post a Comment