Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Growing food...

One thing I love about the internet is that there are SO many people sharing ideas in every possible topic.  This includes growing food.

I love to think outside of the box, and if you get bunches of people thinking outside of the box, you can get quite a conglomerate of ideas to glean from.

For example, look at this bamboo growing trellis.  I guess it's not a real trellis, as trellises go.  And what if you took nice large pieces of bamboo like this, hanging one from the other, and hanging them in front of your big picture window?  You get lettuce all winter!  Or whatever else that can be grown in a long skinny tube.  Ah yes the wheels are turning...




And what is this?  Rows of Jelly Bellies?  Nope... it's Gem Corn.  I don't know how good it is to eat, but if it's tasty, then that would certainly make it FUN to eat.  If not, perhaps it could be decorative.  Either way, tons of colorful coolness.



Holy Shitake!  Mushrooms growing on logs.  We have tons of logs here... must set this up!  Can't wait for winter to end!  lol

Also, there are TONS of wild mushrooms that grow on our homestead.  Edible mushrooms.  *drool*


Aquaponics.  Growing food and fish.  This is a small countertop version, and so it's not an edible fish.  But this little fish still provides valuable nutrition to the plants above.  We currently have a tank set up on the kitchen counter in front of the window.  It's almost ready for plants and fish.  Gold fish.  For now... Our plan is to build a bigger system where we not only grow food plants, but also fish to eat.  Mmmmmm


Chickens!  Eggs!  This is an example of how we want to set up our garden and chicken system.  And we want a variety of chickens so we can have a variety of colored eggs, brown, white, green and blue.  :D



Recycled plastic bottles.  Now this is a very interesting idea for a green house.  I do believe that the bottles would have a somewhat insulating factor.


What a handy dandy basket.  Even if you didn't make it yourself, this concept could be used when picking out a basket to use in this way.  Maybe something from the dollar store?



This will be my kitchen this fall.  I have some jars, but I plan to get more at second hand stores.  :D



I've started collecting compostable materials.  I've been mixing them with the ashes from the woodstove and putting them into a galvanized steel garbage can (for fire safety).  When the can is full, I'll try to pick out a spot where I'd like to keep compostables when the snow melts and dump it out there.  I do like this idea though, tumbling compost.  Nice! 



Hmmm, Look at THIS aquaponics set up!  So many great ideas...



I've been reading up on how to store food over the winter.  Some people still have fresh veggies into May.



I have a collection of antique windows.  This is "ok" but I think one could be much more creative with gorgeous antique windows and doors in making a green house.  Just saying.  :)




Now, THAT is more like it!  :D


Ok, we have tons of logs around here... I wonder if this idea would work in pine trees?



Mushroom laundry baskets.  Interesting!



More aquaponics.  Love this idea.



So many ideas, so little time.  *sigh*

Ah well, on with my day.  Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment