I've been having a debate on Facebook about the idea of Jesus going to a bar and sharing a brewsky with the locals. I seemed to have touched a nerve! Lol
Here are some of the comments:
Person 1: I do not believe Jesus would be drinking a brewsky in the bar however I do believe he would be getting to know the locals in the bar for sure....also let us not judge our pastors or leaders without judging ourselves first.
I replied: I remember that he was enjoying wine at a wedding with his friends in the bible, so I disagree, I do think that in today's context, he would enjoy a good quality beer with the locals. :)
Person 1: Ok Bambi that is your opinion and belief and that is fine with me. I choose to put emphasis on Jesus being a lover of people and enjoying spending time getting to know them that is all.
Person 2: one way to look at this , is that, image can be a very powerful thing, what you see affects your mind weather you like it or not, and also even if you try to ignore it, it will always be on your mind as a human, and Jehovah also said to keep a clean mind, for you cannot praise God with a unclean mind, keep your body clean not just spiritually but also physically.
Jesus would never enter any bar, instead he would wait outside and do his preaching.
I replied: John 2:1-11. He was at the wedding.
Person 2: Bambi what are you really trying to say here? because drinking a beer at a Wedding is a completely different situation as to drinking a beer in a bar, these are two different mind concept.
And John 2:1-11 was the wedding ritual that was perform, everyone had to do it.
I replied: What I'm saying us that Jesus went where people went. He went to synagogue, to weddings, to dinner at people's houses. In the context of THIS century, he would likely be seen with people at the mall, at a resturaunt or bar, and maybe even a church. While with people, he ate with them and drank with them. I doubt he would be drunk and unruly, but I do believe that he would enjoy fellowship with people in all kinds of contexts, and in some cases he would have a beer or wine.
Back in the day, he wasn't supposed to speak to Samaritans, and we have the story of the woman at the well. He wasn't supposed to touch lepers lest he become unclean, yet he did that too. He let a woman bathe his feet in tears - shameful! He did things that removed barriers and brought people closer to him so that people could experience HIM.
So, what I'm saying is that I have no problem imagining Jesus in a bar with people, enjoying fellowship with them, and probably enjoying a beer or something like that. The Pharisees of his day frowned upon him then for the things he did and I'm sure there would be lots of legalistic religious leaders who would do likewise now.
In fact, I went to a bar in a town where I used to live. I was there with another Christian friend. We went to support some mutual friends who were playing in a band that night. While there, there were two regulars there, drunk on their asses who came and sat with us. Rather than snub them, we welcomed them. We both understood that we were Jesus to them in that moment. Since we were open, these guys poured out their hearts to us. So much pain in these men's lives, and we knew that's why they were always drunk.
I invited them to come to church. One took the offer. He didn't think he would be accepted. I told him that when Jesus walked the earth, he spent time with all kinds of people and if he were here right now, he would have no problem sitting here having a beer with you, that's how important YOU are to HIM.
The man had tears in his eyes at that point. But he had another problem. He lost his license because of DUI. So I offered him a ride.
Now, even though I got all manner of criticism, because I was married and female and I met the guy at the bar, I still did it. I brought a hurting man to church, because for HIM, I was the right person (open) in the right place (in a bar having a beer) at the right time.
My friend and I both felt it was a divine appointment.
Person 2: k
Person 2, you just got owned. Booyah! I hope he keeps this in mind for future reference. :)


No comments:
Post a Comment