He glued two seedling trays together, and then McGyver'd a toilet flush mechanism so that the water would flow out of the tray nicely.
At first he used heavy wire to hold the tray up, but the wire wasn't heavy enough, so we glued three layers of styrofoam onto the bottom of the tray. That seems to work ok. He also added an extra piece on the spout of the pump so that the water would flow into the tray.
Then I got busy and used some peat pots with regular potting soil to plant some seeds. In the spirit of reusing what we already have, I was able to plant some red peppers, grapefruits, zucchini, and pears from seeds of things we had already eaten. My honey had some tomato and radish seeds kicking around, so I planted some of those as well. I'm also regrowing green onions and celery on the side there. It's coming along nicely. It's really suprising how often you can cut down the onions. They grow back so fast!
Next up - we gotta get a few fish. We'll likely just get some feeder goldfish to go in the water below. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment