Thursday, January 24, 2013

Au Natural

I don't know why, but I am continuously intrigued by all of the home made things that people are making for themselves.  I want to get in on the action.

I already make my own laundry soap.  Here is the recipe:

Heat up a big pot with 8 quarts of water.  Add a half bar, grated, of pure soap.

This can be Sunlight bar soap,

or ivory, or the equivalent of those tiny bars of soap from hotels.  LOL  I see americans using Felsnaptha soap, but so far, I haven't seen that anywhere in Canada....yet.

Then add a half cup of washing soda



 and a half cup of borax
.  Bring this all to a boil, then turn down and simmer until everything is dissolved and melted.



Then you add 8 more quarts of hot water.  And if you want, add a few drops of your favorite essential oil.  This last time, I added Lime Essential Oil.  I swear to God, it smells like commercial soap!  All this time I had been using Tea Tree Oil, because I love the smell and it's anti-bacterial qualities.  But I love the Lime.  That was a winner with me. :)

This recipe makes enough soap to fill this many containers:



THEN...

I found a recipe for hair removal wax.  Now, what is THIS madness?!?!

2 cups of white sugar
1/4 cup of lemon juice (I used a real lemon)
1/4 cup of water

Bring to a boil, then simmer on low until the mixture turns an amber brown.

Pour into a pint sized mason jar.  Let cool.

When you want to use the wax, put the jar into a bowl of hot water for about 20-30 minutes.

Put a little powder (or corn starch) on the area you are waxing.  Take a wad of wax out of the jar.  it should not be sticky, it should feel like silly putty.  Spread and smush the wax into the hair to be removed.  Rip it off quickly from one side to the other and it removes most or all the hair.  Perfect, and uber cheap.


I've also made lemon spray cleaner, lime fabric refresher, and home scents that I put into a fire safe container on top of the woodstove.

 

This particular pan I obtained from MCC (a local thrift store) for $4.50

More to come....


No comments:

Post a Comment