I've noticed that a few people have unfriended me on facebook. These particular people happen to be students at the Bible College I attend. It doesn't bother me that they did, but I do wonder why.
Perhaps they were just cleaning out the clutter and I was just an aquaintance and therefore, expendable. Nothing wrong with that. But I know that I am one of those unconventional christians. You will hear a curse word escape from my lips under certain circumstances, I have friends who come from backgrounds that are "other" than Christian or Mennonite. We chat about lots of topics, many of which would be considered taboo in the Christian society that I abide in on a regular basis at school and at church. (Did I mention that I'm also divorced, and have one child out of wedlock? lol)
I would never claim to have everything all worked out when it comes to relationships with people or my relationship with God, but y'know, I feel quite grounded, tyvm. I have the ability to converse and relate to many different kinds of people, from many different walks of life. A mental illness, being a person of homosexual orientation, being divorced (however many times), whatever the culture, race, religion - I don't care about all that. Are you a person, whom I believe is created in the image of the God I serve - YES. Therefore, I shall treat you with the dignity that I feel every image bearer deserves, regardless.
So yes, you will see me out dancing at clubs with my friends. You will see me have a glass of wine with dinner. I will make crass jokes now and then, and I will kiss my boyfriend (even though I don't have a legal document stating I'm divorced). Crossing all your T's and dotting all your I's won't guarantee you a spot at the Lord's table. He's gonna ask you, "Where were you when I was struggling with my sexual identity?" and you will say "Lord, when were YOU of all people, struggling with your sexual identity?" And He will reply, "Surely I say to you, when that gay man needed a friend to talk to, that was ME. For that which you have done to the least of these, surely you have done it to Me." Do you think the Lord is gonna tolerate your excuses about how the bible says that homosexuality is an abombination? Surely a lack of love is a much greater abombination. (You could replace sexual identity with any of the other above mentioned things...)
To those of you who are Christians, and you wonder about me and why, as a Christian, I do the things I do. Here's why. Because Jesus did the same thing. That's not the sole reason, but it's an important one. If anything, being more out there in the world has given me a greater love for it. There are too many Christians that have a distain for the world, because they are scared - scared of being tainted by it. Um, hello, "For God so loved the World..." John 3:16. As a result, many people whose lives I've touched have gotten a taste of Jesus. It happened when a friend and her husband were splitting up. She had the POD out front and I was there to help her load it up. Her hubby came by, and we chatted, the 3 of us. They decided to stay together and work some things out. That's Jesus. I have some single mom friends who have had to go through some serious crap, and I am one of the friends they can go to in confidentiality, to share those burdens. That's Jesus. One of my friends felt safe to share with me that she has a mood disorder. I work at MDAM, so she knows I get it. That's like Jesus, He gets it! I could list SO many more things.
But you know what? It's pretty cool but being "out there" in the world, having friendships with all kinds of different people, it really hasn't thwarted my faith in God at all. In fact, it's strengthened. And I am not afraid of losing my Christianity by being out there either. "Let them be won over without words." I don't preach. I live. I walk. I listen. I'm open. Divine moments happen. It proves to me more and more that this is where I'm meant to be.
So, if you or your faith is bothered by anything you may see me doing or saying (here on facebook or anywhere else), one thing you could do is ask me about it. Or you could unfriend me. lol If your faith is really that weak that you must distance yourself from the abombination that is me, so be it. Enjoy your whitewashed tomb.
I mean no offense to anyone by any of this. It's just some random thoughts about the subject. I mean really, what are you ruled by, fear? Or faith?
I loved this the first time I read it. Love the new background and pictures!
ReplyDeleteThanks Kellie! :D
ReplyDelete