Saturday, February 2, 2013

Countertop Taters!



I saw this photo on "Grow Food, Not Lawns" on Facebook and decided to try it!

Now, I'm trying to get into the habit of not only being frugal, but to reuse and recycle everything that I can.  You can purchase Gro-Sacks here and they aren't expensive.  However, I was pretty sure that I could recreate a growing bag of my own.



A simple Superstore shopping bag should do the trick!  I realize that the materials are likely different than an authentic Gro-Sack, and I expect this bag to rot away eventually.  But it was only 99 cents, and I already had it on hand.  It will be enough to contain everything for the meantime.  If I run into a problem with it, I will troubleshoot that when I get there!  :)



I found a plastic container to put the bag in.  This will help me to keep the water contained, and if the bag rots and breaks, at least everything is contained in here.  This makes it easy to move if I need to.



I had a few spongy, wrinkly potatoes that no one really wanted to cook and eat, so I cut them into pieces, ensuring that there was at least one eye on each piece.  Then I planted them into the soil.



I put the hillbilly gro-sack in front of the window next to our aquaponic tank.

And now we wait.... lol

No comments:

Post a Comment