Monday, October 17, 2011

Becoming a Social Worker


I really am excited about becoming a social worker. It's the perfect fit for me. It's basically a degree that allows me to be paid for the way I naturally am with people.

I was reading a case study today for one of my classes. The way the worker handled things is pretty much how I would have done it. She chose to become relateable, to find common ground with the client in order to gain trust.

Isn't that what every person needs? I know that it really helped me to connect with a social worker around the time that I decided to leave my husband. I was so stuck in "Christianity" that I couldn't see my way out of a very emotionally abusive marriage. Christianity, as I understood it then, severely limited what I thought I could and could not do. I just wanted to be good. (Doesn't that sound little-girlish?) I thought if I could be good enough, things would work out for me. But it just wasn't happening. And in speaking with the Social Worker, she really helped me at a critical time, to finally make that decision. That isn't to say that I didn't also have other supports. I have a very good friendship with a couple who counseled me through some very deep dark things. But this blog is about Social Work, and becoming a Social Worker.

A social worker is a person who is trained to help all of the available systems and supports in the clients life to work together in harmony, towards a healthier goal to increase the quality of their life. My SW identified my strengths right away, and pointed them out to me. And she was great with my son, who was struggling quite a bit at the time. Every social work class that I'm taking continues to affirm that this is what I'm meant to do. I am enjoying this educational part of my life journey very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment