Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Another day in Paradise...

It's been a while since I've posted.  I'm just so busy.

We just acquired a goat and 5 chickens.  I'm still trying to get my garden in.  I try to do something every day though.  So far I have:

72 potato plants
200 onions (red and yellow)
carrots
asparagus
strawberries
lettuce
rhubarb
radishes
garlic

I still need cucumbers, zucchini, punpkin, beans, peas, corn, herbs, and then maybe a few other things.  lol

Haven't even touched the flower bed yet.  argh!

But that's just another day in Paradise.  Rome wasn't built in a day, and our newly acquired homestead isn't gonna get all set up the way we want it right away either.  :)  It takes a LOT of hard work, and we have the aches and pains to prove that we have been working hard!

I tapped several Maple trees though, and got about 40L of sap.  Course, that will only get us 1L of syrup, but it was a learning experience and we will tap earlier next year, and will likely find more Maples over the summer too.

We have TONS of raspberry, saskatoon, choke cherry, and plums growing wild on our property.  Also, tons of mushrooms!  Gotta research which ones are edible, but I am sure several of them are.

And I heard the suckers are running in our stream now, so we gotta go try and see what we can get there.

Meanwhile, our newly acquired chickens gave us 4 green shelled eggs their first day here.  SUCCESS! lol

Tonight, I'm picking up 40 Maple trees (saplings) for free as well as some lilac bushes.  We'll find a place for them!  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment