- For some reason, this has grabbed a hold of my attention as of late. I felt the same way about the people left behind after Hurricane Katrina. This is some of the debate that I've been having on my friend's wall on Facebook. This particular friend is aboriginal. J-girl and S-dude are white. IT's pretty interesting how they have all the answers, but never address S-girl herself, and they are HER friends... sheesh. And the way that J-girl goes on and on about education - she ought to get some herself - that girl cannot spell... it's pretty bad. lol
S-girl - If there were any time to talk about the Attawapiskat issue...this would be a prime opportunity to show it to the world. Only in Canada...Tuesday at 6:42pm · ·1
- S-dude - If 90 000 000 dollars is a true amount, how the hell does that money not cover basic expenses for housing, health care, education, etc for a 5 year period for 2000 people? Band councils continue to profit on many reserves, coruption seems to be a huge issue, and the people continue to live in abject poverty. Clearly the current system of throwing money at the problem does not work.Yesterday at 2:16pm ·
- S-dude - And a request to send in troops? What could possibly go wrong there...Yesterday at 2:18pm ·
- G-dude - The disaster assistance response team (DART) has a regiment of engineers who could build housing overnight....the Harper regime sent them to Haiti to erect tents in a tropical country and yet will not send them to help freezing women and children.....the Conservative response was bring a box of donuts and take away the chequebook..this is not a financial crisis but a humanitarian crisis....Yesterday at 3:32pm · ·
1
- S-dude - Other then the immediate humanitarian assistance needed, someone needs to account for the 90 000 000 dollars sunk into the place and find out why the hell after all that money was spent, there is still no adequate housing.The DART does not contain a "regiment of Engineers" engineers are a small part of a larger medical component (roughly 200 people if memory serves). The DART is largely used for medical assistance, the engineers mostly provide safe drinking water as part of that team (they provide other skills as well but are a small contingent), there would be no "overnight housing". If the military was deployed to the area the same tents would go up and the housing crisis would not be immediatly fixed, though I'm sure progress would be made.19 hours ago ·
- Bambi Dawn Excellent point, G-dude, and so true. People have no idea how much it truly costs to get food and supplies up to a community like that. Sandra said in another post that the Chief has all the documents online for all to see where the money was spent. I bet the people who are freaking out over this "90 Million" have never been to a remote community like that...19 hours ago ·
- Bambi Dawn BTW... 90,000,000 divided by 2000 people, divided by 5 years equals 9,000 per person, per year. I know that food is about double if you can get it to a northern community by land in a truck. But if you have ice roads in winter, and boats in summer, OR if you have to fly it in, that can almost quadruple it. Think of that now in terms of getting building supplies there, clothing, etc. Yeah... we don't want aboriginal people to complain anymore about how we stole their land and killed their children in residential schools, the past is the past, right? Harper said he was sorry about that. Yet, we scream and cry when they take "our" tax dollars, dollars we make while living and working on land we stole. Yeah, SO unfair...19 hours ago ·
- S-dude - Oh for Pete's sake, I am not "freaking out" about the 90 000 000, nor do I believe this was the only money coming into the community, or the first of federal and provincial dollars that went into this community. I do believe that the system needs a bottom up overhaul, especially in light of allegations of corruption among chiefs and band councils. Other than where is the majority of Canadian community mobilzation to assist, I would ask where is the greater aboriginal communities involvment? There seems to be no issues in mobilizing armed "warriors" to protect land claims, but no hue and cry to get help to this needy villiage (no I am not suggestiong aboriginals are not Canadian). I've personally lived in far northern communities and provided medical care there, conditions are far worse then most Canadians know, infact intolarable in a 1st World country. Yes there are increased costs of living, but the system breeds apathy and in many aboriginal reserves the struggle to rise above the poverty is seen as "you think your better" and not promoted and celebrated. And that last sentence comes from Aboriginal Dr's and nurses I've worked with. So from me there is complete agreement that the needs of the villiage must be immediatly handled, but there is far more to it then increasing government funding and time to move out of the reservation system as it currently (mal)functions.17 hours ago ·
- Bambi Dawn Oh... ok. It just kinda sounded like freaking out when you asked the question... how the hell does 90 million dollars not cover expenses, and why the hell, after all that money was spent, is there not adequate housing. Maybe you weren't freaking out, sorry, that's just how it looks to me, the reader. :)
Hey I like how you are blaming the Chiefs and Councils. Great job! Its oh so funny how people are so quick to point to them as the ultimate ones to blame, the scapegoats, if you will. If you want to look at what is corrupt, I think it all comes back to the government agenda to "kill the indian in the child", which was the policy of the government for every aboriginal child for over 100 years. And those that didn't die (which is over 60% of the children who went to residential schools) have certainly experienced a death on other levels within their minds and hearts. But, sure, lets blame THEM.
I am aware of the cultural perspective of not outdoing one another in the community. If only we could take a lesson from THEM on that! It's not apathy. Their culture is one of sharing, and ensuring survival of the community as a WHOLE. People care about each other in a different way, and easily give things away when they see that someone needs or wants them. What Generosity! "We" tend to step on each other for our own personal gain most of the time. That is how this dominant culture operates. We look upon the tradition of not outdoing your neighbor, and think of it as bad. It is not. If only we white people would open up and learn how to understand THEIR culture, their ways, and operate from that vantage point when attempting to provide help, perhaps things would happen for the better. No one likes to be patronized. I'm sure you didn't enjoy it when I was patronizing you about blaming THEM. Well, I highly doubt they have EVER enjoyed being patronized by the paternalistic agenda of our government.
I am glad to hear that you have lived in northern communities and experienced the third world conditions there. But again, I have to say that it is pompous of you to say that YOU know what the problems are, and that you know what the solutions are. And you do it, here, on S-girl's wall? Really? Did you even stop to ask her, or G-dude what THEIR ideas are? Well why would you? You are still operating from your lofty position of white privilege. Personally, I agree with both S-girl and G-dude, who pointed out that this is a humanitarian issue, and a human rights issue. And it is. We should ALL be concerned about it.3 hours ago · - Bambi Dawn Also, if you look on Youtube, there are many people testifying on video, young and old, advocating for their community of Attawapiskat. I'd attribute that to being a warrior cry for help on behalf of people in their village. Just saying...
And in another post on S-girl's wall...S-girl shared a link.
www.edmontonjournal.comCalling it "this country's moment of reckoning in its relations between First Nations and Canada," Assembly of First Nations Chief Shawn Atleo on Tuesday said aboriginal leaders are rallying behind the embattled community of Attawapiskat in northern Ontario.
This blog is about being honest and real about life and the circumstances it brings. What is shared here is not always pretty, but it is genuine. I may use some curse words and I may speak “Christian” just to warn y'all. Life sure isn't perfect. It's pretty damn messy. Yet, in the midst of that mess, there is life, hopes, dreams, love, friends and COFFEE! So, grab a cup of java and settle in, we are gonna hang out together for a bit.
Thursday, December 8, 2011
Attawapiskat debate
Labels:
aboriginal,
Attawapiskat,
Canada,
Canadian government,
First Nations
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment