Monday, July 12, 2010

Migraines

Just got through a lovely 2 day migraine... uggg

Ha, someone had the brilliant idea that I should get prayed for like their friend did. Apparently God cured her migraines...

I'm a Christian, as IF I hadn't thought of that!

He went on to say, "Well I guess you've already decided to live with your migraines." Riiight, since we can't blame God for the bad things cuz he's perfect and good, then we HAVE to find someone to blame, right? Yes, I am CHOOSING to have migraines... cuz they are so freaking FUN!

I am ashamed to be in the same category of "Christian" with this moron! How insulting...

Another thing that irks me is when people who have NEVER had a migraine thing they know everything about it, and they have "the cure" for you. Whether it's prayer, or snorting powdered chicken bones... (ok no one really suggested the chicken bones) do ya think I'm just tootin along with my head in the clouds just hoping for YOUR solution to fall blessedly into my lap?

Don't get me wrong, I hate migraines and I would do practically ANYTHING to not have them...

Somethings that have helped:

Medications - Imitrex, Amerge, Amatryptaline, Gravol, Demerol, Moprhine,
Phenergin and of course Advil for migraine which really doesn't work all that well...

Get into a hot bath and pour cold water on your head - changes the blood pressure in your brain.

DO NOT drink red wine - ever...

Fennel... mmm some say this works.... I dunno...

Massage - helps to prevent, can also create a migraine or worsen a migraine

Chiropractor - same as massage - can prevent, but worsens my migraine when I go there with one. Some people claim it eliminates their migraines... that would be nice.

Prayer - hmmm... well I've prayed my ass off, and others have prayed alot for me, laid hands on me, annointing with oil, all that. So now what? I feel that God has used migraines to help me get in touch with my feelings of helplessness and fear of depending on others for help... So the migraines have actually helped me in THOSE areas. I think people learn to trust God MORE when they DON'T get immediately healed. Just saying...

Havent' tried acupuncture yet, but I do massage the spot in between the thumb and index finger... minimal luck there...

Recently, a fellow migraine sufferer suggested putting half a teaspoon of salt into 8oz of water. Drink that then 2 more 8oz glasses of tepid water... helps to replenish electrolytes and hydrate you... I have to say that this seemed helpful. And the salt water tasted good, if you can imagine, so I guess my body was craving it...

Apparently drinking hot water with lemon and honey can prevent.... hmm, maybe... it does taste good though...

Hydration is a key element for sure...

I even got some kind of injectable vitamin concoction from a naturopath once... so here I am, migraining like crazy, AND jamming a needle into my leg... this did NOT cure my migrains, but at least I got my overpriced vitamins...

So all of these are helpful... but are they the cure - NO... at least not for me.

So... all the doctors at the St. Anne Hospital know me, and I know them. LOL I have friends who can drive me to the hospital when I need to go. My kids are well versed on how to take care of mom when I am migraining. And I just have to deal with it. The list of things to avoid in order to prevent is SO long it's not even worth following because these things don't always cause a migraine. So... I live my life to the fullest and when a migraine knocks me down, well I just deal with it until it's over, then catch up on what I have missed and continue on.

I'm tired of snake oil salesmen, and of "well meaning Christians" who have the answer for me, if only i do this or that... I've given up on the fantasy that I will find some miracle cure for this.

The only person I know who has been "cured" of her migraines got cured when she went through menopause... so I'm looking forward to that! YAY MENOPAUSE! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment